It’s my Medium anniversary!!
I realized this month that I have been here on Medium for a year now. Holy poop!! It seems like just yesterday I joined this platform. What a year it has been. I never thought I could learn so much not only about myself, but about other people.
To be honest, when I first joined I didn’t really know what to expect. I figured I’d come here to make some extra monthly income. Isn’t that why most of the writers are here?
Apparently not. Who knew? 🤷♀️
I started out slowly, feeling my way around, trying to figure out exactly how Medium works and what they really want from me. To be honest, to this day, I still have no clue how Medium works nor does anyone else.
It’s like the Cadbury Secret.
I did, however, figure out what they wanted from me. They as in the people, the readers, you guys.
9 things I learned from being on Medium for a year
- This place is full of amazing and talented writers. Holy shit. I’ve never read so much in my life and I can’t tell you how many times I caught myself nodding in agreement with a writer “Yes! I know exactly how you feel!!!” There are a lot of really smart peeps on here too. I’ve learned a lot of techy stuff here!
- There is always room for improvement. I remember reading in the beginning about how to become a better writer and I used to think that was odd. Aren’t we already good writers? Nope. The more you write, the better you get at it. I honestly had no clue.
- Trolls are everywhere. Yup, even here. I will admit, I’m kinda naive when it comes to certain things. I thought this was a troll free place but it’s not. They are here and they are vicious. Oy. Thank God I’ve only had one really bash me but I’ve heard horror stories about others.
- If you want to make good money, you have to make this your full time job. Like, you have to dedicate tons of your time to writing and being on here. I don’t really have very much free time. I am here to make money but unless I devote more than 75% of my time to Medium, I will always make just a little and I’m ok with that.
- You can write about whatever the fuck you want. YAY!!! Oh I love this with all that I am. Over on my website I have to be careful what I write. It’s more of an inspirational and personal development site. Here? It’s no holds barred. Yes!!!! Colour me happy.
- Writers can be cranky. And sometimes think they are entitled. Sorry not sorry. I may get some flack from this but I have thick skin. No one knows the Cadbury secret. Stop complaining about your earnings for the love of God. Can’t you just be thankful that there is a platform that lets you write whatever the fuck you want, whenever the fuck you want, they only charge you a measly $5 a month AND they pay you?? 🤦♀️
- I’ve made new friends!! I honestly didn’t come here looking for new friends but that’s what happened. I have met some absolutely amazing people and have even talked to some of them in person via Zoom. Like minded people. Writers and creators and free thinkers. Oh my ❤.
- Things take time to grow. I kinda already knew this. Things will grow fast or slow, depending on how much time you have to invest in growth. To be perfectly honest, I’m surprised I’m already at a little over 1400 followers. Yay me!! Patience is a virtue. For real.
- People get me. I mean really get me. They feel my stories, they know my pain, they understand my frustrations. I pour my heart out and constantly get private messages from readers who went through, or is going through, the same thing. They thank me for writing about it and how it helps them heal. Oh my ❤ again.
I have absolutely enjoyed my first year here on Medium and am happy when they give me money every month! Thank you Medium and thank you to each and every reader who supports not only me but my fellow writers and this platform!
We ❤ you.
I will be eternally grateful for this platform for letting me get out all my demons, share my silly stories and let me be me.
I love you ❤
Peace and Love
xo iva xo