What an odd year, amirite? We started the new year cheering ourselves on and thinking without a shadow of a doubt “this is gonna be my best year ever”. Oy.
And then in a blink of an eye~poof! All our hopes and dreams vanished into polluted air with our enthusiastic smiles hidden behind masks.
Ah, such is life.
Time to pause and reflect
Welp, there certainly was plenty of time for self-reflection. Maybe a tad more than we wanted or needed. This quarantine not only rocked us hard but made us question life and our mortality.
In case you aren’t sure what *the numbers* are for this year due to COVID you might want to check this out. It’s no joke.
Will I get it? Can I beat it? When will it end? Is this the new norm?
I’m scared. I don’t fear for my own life. I fear for the life of my family, friends and their loved ones.
But this year has also given me many moments to pause and reflect on my life and life itself.
I feel it has made us all more hyper-aware of our surroundings, our health, and hygiene. I believe it has also made us more thankful for today and each day we wake up healthy. Or maybe that’s just me?
I haven’t been taking it too seriously, though
Sorry. I just haven’t. I wear my mask when I go out. I use hand sanitizer when I need to. But I haven’t been social distancing. Oh, I did in the beginning but not so much anymore these days.
I kinda get the social distancing thing and why it’s so important. I’m not totally naive.
But I’m a hugger and a people person. I need human interaction to fill my soul. I’m also slightly introverted so I didn’t have much trouble isolating. Until I did. It’s been weird for me to say the least.
But I don’t want to make this whole article about the ‘v’ word.
25 Things I Learned About Myself, Life, and People in 2020
This past year has been a real eye-opener, to say the least. I learned a lot about myself, life, and people. Some good, some not so good and some things that just make you go hmmm.
Here are 25 random thoughts and things I learned in 2020 in no particular order of importance…
- I need to stop procrastinating and do the things I’ve always wanted to do and need to do.
- The Keto diet is really hard to stick to, especially when you’re a junk food junkie.
- Pandemics make people ugly and hateful.
- Pandemics also make people more caring and loving.
- Too many people believe everything they read.
- I should wash my hands more than I do.
- Stuff is just stuff and means nothing. Life is more important than the things you own.
- Accountability buddies are the next best thing to Nutella.
- It’s amazing how productive you can be during isolation but also surprising how unmotivated you can be at the same time. Odd.
- When I push fear aside, I can do mindblowing things.
- I can be gone tomorrow so I need to make the most of each day.
- It’s ok to celebrate your birthday every day of the month.
- Why do people argue about things that won’t matter tomorrow?
- I’m noticing new wrinkles each day and I’m missing my youthful days. A lot.
- Taking collagen really does make your hair fuller and thicker!
- I really miss hugging people. A lot.
- I’m too old to date 25-year-old men, no matter how hot they are.
- Travel while you can, when you can because when you can’t it’s extremely frustrating and almost depressing.
- It’s important to fact check before you ‘claim to know’ something.
- As you get older, life means more.
- Arguing with fools only proves there are two.
- Learning a new language is hard af and frustrating as hell.
- Get rid of toxic people and things in your life asap. It’s ok to unfollow people in real life, even if they are your family.
- Cockroaches are the ugliest and creepiest critters on the planet. What’s their purpose again?
- People are more afraid of things then they lead you to believe.
This has been a tough year for all of us
We all have our own struggles. We are all feeling pain and anguish in some way, shape, or form. It’s not necessary to have a pain pissing contest. We all process it differently.
Have respect. Be kind. Stop judging, pointing fingers, and blaming.
We aren’t perfect. We are all doing the best we can in the best way possible with what we know.
This year has ended a lot of friendships/relationships and made many people hateful and hurtful. We don’t know how to handle isolation and pandemics. We weren’t given a manual at birth.
No one has to agree with everything you say and believe. We are all entitled to our own opinions and it’s important to respect that. It’s what makes us unique.
Love makes the world go round
We’ve spent most of the year living in fear and anger. We’ve been confused and lied to. We are uncertain of our future and the future of the ‘v’ thing.
But that doesn’t mean you have to take out your anger and fear on other people.
Choose to see life, people, and situations through the eyes of love and watch how things change. Put your differences aside, embrace authenticity and individuality.
Show more compassion to fellow humans. We are all battling demons no one knows about.
peace and love
ox iva xo
Check out my new mini self help eBook series, You Are Amazing, here!